I had the itch to bake, so I made the following based on what I had available. Ingredients in parenthesis are suggestions for alternate ingredients that I have not tested.
Poppy Seed Bread (Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free)
Preheat oven at 350°F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with preferred shortening.
- 1 - 12.5 oz. can of poppy seed filling (OR 1-2 cups poppy seeds and 1/2 cup sugar of choice [may need to adjust volume of flour] OR equivalent volume of homemade filling)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (OR apple cider vinegar)
- (optional lemon zest to make a lemon poppy seed loaf)
- 2 eggs (or equivalent substitute for binding)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (You can leave out if you are using another flavoring extract like: lemon extract OR almond extract.)
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
Blend until seeds are well dispersed.
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tbsp. xanthan gum (or 1/2 tbsp. guar gum)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- dash of salt (You can leave this out if you are watching salt intake. The baking powder adds sodium.)
Flour can be roughly measured. Stir into wet mixture. It will not be batter like, but will not be very stiff. It will be like a soft cookie dough.
Pat into pan with spatula.
Bake for 1 hour. The top will be golden and knife inserted will come out clean. Completely cool before slicing.
The bread will rise nicely and have a nice fine crumb. Enjoy with you favorite spread!